Peace is possible on international scaleUpdated 6 Sept 12
- After WWII Japan democratized, Europe rebuilt
- New democracies & European Union formed
- Marshall Plan led to stabilizing forces: UN and NATO, now include former enemies. New democracies have been relatively peaceful.
How Did Nurture Do It?
- Inherent in the human genome lie parenting, altruism, and cooperation, and these lead away from violence. Democracy, inherent and sought after, is a common desire in all societies, and ever-present.
- Market economies evolved that enabled enlightened governance and improved subsistence on both individual and group levels. This trend was driven by our cooperative trait.
- In battle for minds: representation won over repression; constitutions replaced imperious rule.
- Legitimacy was earned and democracy became ever more powerful and spread.
Link to: Natural History
Posted by RoadToPeace on Saturday, September 15, 2007.